[birdky] RPT: Peabody WMA, Jan 9, 2004

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY (E-mail)" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:02:27 -0500

Matt Stickel and I spent a good part of the day on the Ken Homestead Unit of
Peabody WMA, southern Ohio County on Sunday. We tallied about 60 species.
The 2 CBC Mute Swans on a lake along KY 369 had become 8 (all adults);
waterfowl were few in number but we did see a pair of Northern Pintail; most
of the Great Blues we saw were hunting small mammals out in grassy fields;
Turkey Vultures were in the air (missed on previous week's CBC); hawks were
EVERYWHERE, probably because of the crummy weather of previous several days.
We only saw one light morph Rough-legged Hawk but Red-tails were everywhere
including three pairs sparring with one another at one point. Cooper's Hawks
were also seen several times. At dusk, we had at least 14 Northern Harriers
either settling into a roost or dive-bombing an out-of-view target (Great
Horned Owl?). We felt fortunate to get some quick looks at two Short-eared
Owls at day's end . . . amazing how few are on the mines this winter.  We
found a few good passerine flocks, but many areas that seemingly should be
packed with winter residents are devoid of songbirds.

bpb, Louisville