[birdky] RPT: No. Saw-whet Owl in Jefferson County

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 11:51:03 -0500

Yesterday afternoon I noted that the coming evening's weather conditions
seemed like they might be favorable for northward migration of No.
Saw-whet Owls that have been wintering in our region and farther south.
Some banding stations that net Saw-whets in the fall also attempt to net
them during their migration back north, especially after invasion years
like this one. In the invasion year of 1999-2000, Mark Monroe was able
to catch one bird on the night of March 7, 2000; and we have several
voice and road-kill records in the month of March as late as the 31st in
1982.

Last night ended up breezier than forecast, but at 8:45 p.m EST I had
one hatch-year (now second-year) female Saw-whet in the nets at our
banding station on my family's farm in eastern Jefferson County. As
conditions improved (lighter winds) as the evening progressed, I hoped
for more captures but had no more by 12:15 when I closed down.

bpb, Frankfort