[birdky] RPT: Louisville south end, Zappos, Bernheim, April 11, 2009

  • From: rod <rodmanprice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 09:56:51 -0700 (PDT)

It was a cool, windy but beautiful sunny morning yesterday to be out birding. I
was accompanied by fellow Beckham members Barbara Woerner and Michael Autin. We
started the day off with a brief visit at Melco, then proceeded to make stops
at what I like to call "Michael's Southend Specialties." Think ditches,
fencerows, clumps of trees, flood water retention basins and abandoned lots.
They weren't always pretty, but we found some very nice birds. Next stop was
the Zappos property in Shepherdsville. We ended the trip at Bernheim.

Highlights (for me anyway) included: Purple Martin, Northern Rough-winged
Swallow, Chimney Swift, Solitary Sandpiper, Vesper Sparrow, Wilson's Snipe,
Greater Yellowlegs, Broad-winged Hawk, Palm Warbler.

Sorry about including the scientific names. I've been playing with eBird again.

Location:     Melco Basin
Observation date:     4/11/09
Notes:
We birded through the chain link fence from the parking lot, thus
violating the first Birding Commandment: "Thou shalt not bird into thy
sun." Luckily, we did not fry out retinas. Weather: Sunny, winds 10
mph with gusts to 20, 46F.
Number of species:     24

Canada Goose - Branta canadensis     10
Mallard - Anas platyrhynchos     5
Blue-winged Teal - Anas discors     12
Pied-billed Grebe - Podilymbus podiceps     2
Red-tailed Hawk - Buteo jamaicensis     1
American Coot - Fulica americana     40
Killdeer - Charadrius vociferus     4
Rock Pigeon - Columba livia     10
Mourning Dove - Zenaida macroura     5
Northern Flicker - Colaptes auratus     1
American Crow - Corvus brachyrhynchos     2
Purple Martin - Progne subis     2
Tree Swallow - Tachycineta bicolor     2
Northern Rough-winged Swallow - Stelgidopteryx serripennis     2
American Robin - Turdus migratorius     4
Northern Mockingbird - Mimus polyglottos     1
European Starling - Sturnus vulgaris     20
Song Sparrow - Melospiza melodia     1
Northern Cardinal - Cardinalis cardinalis     2
Red-winged Blackbird - Agelaius phoeniceus     6
Eastern Meadowlark - Sturnella magna     1
Common Grackle - Quiscalus quiscula     9
American Goldfinch - Carduelis tristis     2
House Sparrow - Passer domesticus     2

Location:    Waste Management
Observation date:     4/11/09
Notes:
  This was a "drive-by" from the entrance to the end of the lane to the
Haz-Bin and back. Weather: Sunny, windy 10-20 mph, 50F.
Number of species:     10

Mourning Dove - Zenaida macroura     2
American Robin - Turdus migratorius     5
European Starling - Sturnus vulgaris     5
Eastern Towhee - Pipilo erythrophthalmus     2
Field Sparrow - Spizella pusilla     1
Song Sparrow - Melospiza melodia     2
White-throated Sparrow - Zonotrichia albicollis     1
Dark-eyed Junco - Junco hyemalis     1
Northern Cardinal - Cardinalis cardinalis     1
Common Grackle - Quiscalus quiscula     7

Location:    Minors Lane
Observation date:     4/11/09
Notes:
Weather: Sunny, winds 10-20 MPH, temperature 50 to 55F. Upland chorus frogs
singing too.
Number of species:     38

Canada Goose - Branta canadensis     5
Mallard - Anas platyrhynchos     2
Northern Shoveler - Anas clypeata     2
Pied-billed Grebe - Podilymbus podiceps     2
Turkey Vulture - Cathartes aura     2
Red-tailed Hawk - Buteo jamaicensis     1
American Coot - Fulica americana     2
Killdeer - Charadrius vociferus     5
Solitary Sandpiper - Tringa solitaria     2
Wilson's Snipe - Gallinago delicata     2
Mourning Dove - Zenaida macroura     2
Red-bellied Woodpecker - Melanerpes carolinus     1
Northern Flicker - Colaptes auratus     1
Blue Jay - Cyanocitta cristata     1
American Crow - Corvus brachyrhynchos     2
Tree Swallow - Tachycineta bicolor     1
Northern Rough-winged Swallow - Stelgidopteryx serripennis     4
Barn Swallow - Hirundo rustica     4
Tufted Titmouse - Baeolophus bicolor     1
Carolina Wren - Thryothorus ludovicianus     2
Eastern Bluebird - Sialia sialis     1
American Robin - Turdus migratorius     6
Northern Mockingbird - Mimus polyglottos     1
Brown Thrasher - Toxostoma rufum     1
European Starling - Sturnus vulgaris     10
Chipping Sparrow - Spizella passerina     12
Field Sparrow - Spizella pusilla     2
Vesper Sparrow - Pooecetes gramineus     3
Savannah Sparrow - Passerculus sandwichensis     10
Song Sparrow - Melospiza melodia     10
Swamp Sparrow - Melospiza georgiana     5
Northern Cardinal - Cardinalis cardinalis     1
Red-winged Blackbird - Agelaius phoeniceus     8
Eastern Meadowlark - Sturnella magna     4
Common Grackle - Quiscalus quiscula     8
Brown-headed Cowbird - Molothrus ater     6
American Goldfinch - Carduelis tristis     1
House Sparrow - Passer domesticus     2

Location:     More Minors Lane
Observation date:     4/11/09
Notes:
  Most of
the properties have been demolished as part of the Louisville
International Airport's expansion. Some homeowners are holding
out though. Birders visiting the area should be aware of property boundaries
and respect residents' privacy. Weather: Sunny, temperature 55 to 58F, winds
10-20 MPH.
Number of species:     29

Canada Goose - Branta canadensis     2
Turkey Vulture - Cathartes aura     4
Accipiter sp. - Accipiter sp.     1
Red-tailed Hawk - Buteo jamaicensis     1
Killdeer - Charadrius vociferus     2
Mourning Dove - Zenaida macroura     2
Chimney Swift - Chaetura pelagica     6
Northern Flicker - Colaptes auratus     1
Purple Martin - Progne subis     2
Tree Swallow - Tachycineta bicolor     3
Northern Rough-winged Swallow - Stelgidopteryx serripennis     2
Barn Swallow - Hirundo rustica     2
Carolina Wren - Thryothorus ludovicianus     1
Eastern Bluebird - Sialia sialis     1
American Robin - Turdus migratorius     8
Northern Mockingbird - Mimus polyglottos     2
Brown Thrasher - Toxostoma rufum     1
European Starling - Sturnus vulgaris     10
Field Sparrow - Spizella pusilla     2
Song Sparrow - Melospiza melodia     6
Swamp Sparrow - Melospiza georgiana     2
Northern Cardinal - Cardinalis cardinalis     1
Red-winged Blackbird - Agelaius phoeniceus     5
Eastern Meadowlark - Sturnella magna     3
Common Grackle - Quiscalus quiscula     4
Brown-headed Cowbird - Molothrus ater     3
House Finch - Carpodacus mexicanus     2
American Goldfinch - Carduelis tristis     2
House Sparrow - Passer domesticus     4

Location:    Zappos Property
Observation date:     4/11/09
Notes:
  First drove back to the water tower where there is an area of exposed rock on
the hillside. It appears
this is a nesting site for the Northern Rough-Winged Swallows. Then
drove back to the small cemetery on the hill and birded on foot in the flats
between the hill and the retention basin. Weather: Sunny,
winds 10 to 25 MPH, temperature 58 to 63F.
Number of species:     31

Mallard - Anas platyrhynchos     4
Pied-billed Grebe - Podilymbus podiceps     4
Turkey Vulture - Cathartes aura     4
Red-tailed Hawk - Buteo jamaicensis     1
American Kestrel - Falco sparverius     1
American Coot - Fulica americana     4
Killdeer - Charadrius vociferus     10
Greater Yellowlegs - Tringa melanoleuca     1
Wilson's Snipe - Gallinago delicata     2
Rock Pigeon - Columba livia     6
Mourning Dove - Zenaida macroura     3
Purple Martin - Progne subis     3
Northern Rough-winged Swallow - Stelgidopteryx serripennis     12
Barn Swallow - Hirundo rustica     2
Carolina Wren - Thryothorus ludovicianus     1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - Polioptila caerulea     1
Eastern Bluebird - Sialia sialis     2
American Robin - Turdus migratorius     5
Northern Mockingbird - Mimus polyglottos     1
Brown Thrasher - Toxostoma rufum     1
European Starling - Sturnus vulgaris     15
Savannah Sparrow - Passerculus sandwichensis     3
Song Sparrow - Melospiza melodia     5
Swamp Sparrow - Melospiza georgiana     2
Northern Cardinal - Cardinalis cardinalis     1
Eastern Meadowlark - Sturnella magna     1
Rusty Blackbird - Euphagus carolinus     5
Common Grackle - Quiscalus quiscula     8
Brown-headed Cowbird - Molothrus ater     2
House Finch - Carpodacus mexicanus     2
American Goldfinch - Carduelis tristis     2

Location:     Bernheim Arboretum and Research Forest
Observation date:     4/11/09
Notes:
  Weather: Sunny, 62F, wind 10 MPH. Areas included the area around the
Education Center, including feeders, and Lake Nevin in the vicinity of
the Artist's Studio on foot; one lap around the loop in the car.
Number of species:     38

Canada Goose - Branta canadensis     4
Pied-billed Grebe - Podilymbus podiceps     1
Black Vulture - Coragyps atratus     1
Turkey Vulture - Cathartes aura     1
Broad-winged Hawk - Buteo platypterus     1
Red-tailed Hawk - Buteo jamaicensis     1
Mourning Dove - Zenaida macroura     8
Red-bellied Woodpecker - Melanerpes carolinus     1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - Sphyrapicus varius     1
Downy Woodpecker - Picoides pubescens     1
Eastern Phoebe - Sayornis phoebe     2
Blue Jay - Cyanocitta cristata     1
American Crow - Corvus brachyrhynchos     2
Purple Martin - Progne subis     15
Tree Swallow - Tachycineta bicolor     6
Carolina Chickadee - Poecile carolinensis     2
Tufted Titmouse - Baeolophus bicolor     1
White-breasted Nuthatch - Sitta carolinensis     2
Carolina Wren - Thryothorus ludovicianus     1
Golden-crowned Kinglet - Regulus satrapa     2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - Regulus calendula     1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - Polioptila caerulea     2
Eastern Bluebird - Sialia sialis     2
American Robin - Turdus migratorius     10
Northern Mockingbird - Mimus polyglottos     1
Brown Thrasher - Toxostoma rufum     1
European Starling - Sturnus vulgaris     10
Yellow-rumped Warbler - Dendroica coronata     3
Palm Warbler - Dendroica palmarum     1
Eastern Towhee - Pipilo erythrophthalmus     1
Chipping Sparrow - Spizella passerina     6
Field Sparrow - Spizella pusilla     1
Song Sparrow - Melospiza melodia     1
White-throated Sparrow - Zonotrichia albicollis     2
Dark-eyed Junco - Junco hyemalis     2
Northern Cardinal - Cardinalis cardinalis     5
Common Grackle - Quiscalus quiscula     10
Pine Siskin - Carduelis pinus     3

These reports were generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org)

Happy Spring,

Rod Botkins
Jefferson Co.
"The more clearly we can focus our attention on the wonders and realities
of the universe about us, the less taste we shall have for destruction."
Rachel Carson
stateofthebirds.org