[birdky] RPT: Caperton Swamp, April 12, 2009

  • From: rod <rodmanprice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 10:04:55 -0700 (PDT)

I made a very quick visit to Caperton Sunday morning. I'm sure I missed some
species. Did see a Hermit Thrush. No Prothonotary yet.

Location:     Caperton Swamp
Observation date:    4/12/09
Notes:     Weather: Sunny, calm with occasional breezes through the upper
canopy, 38F. Upland chorus frogs singing in the hardwood bottom east of the
pond. Noticeable foliage
increase from last week. Trees still down blocking path in some spots.
Number of species:     19

Wood Duck - Aix sponsa     6
Turkey Vulture - Cathartes aura     4     Circling so low I could hear their
wing beats over the traffic.
Accipiter sp. - Accipiter sp.     1     Brief flyover.
Mourning Dove - Zenaida macroura     2
Red-bellied Woodpecker - Melanerpes carolinus     2
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - Sphyrapicus varius     1
Northern Flicker - Colaptes auratus     1
Pileated Woodpecker - Dryocopus pileatus     1
Blue Jay - Cyanocitta cristata     9
Carolina Chickadee - Poecile carolinensis     3
Hermit Thrush - Catharus guttatus     1     Feeding along with two robins along
the north-east corner of the pond.
American Robin - Turdus migratorius     14
European Starling - Sturnus vulgaris     4
White-throated Sparrow - Zonotrichia albicollis     8     Vigorous singing.
Northern Cardinal - Cardinalis cardinalis     17     Males sparring for
territory and singing. Also watched one female chasing off another.
Red-winged Blackbird - Agelaius phoeniceus     2     Coverts not fully
developed on either. One appeared to match Sibley's first summer male.
Common Grackle - Quiscalus quiscula     2
Brown-headed Cowbird - Molothrus ater     5
American Goldfinch - Carduelis tristis     2

Happy Spring,

Rod Botkins
Jefferson Co.

"The more clearly we can focus our attention on the wonders and realities
of the universe about us, the less taste we shall have for destruction."
Rachel Carson
stateofthebirds.org