[birdky] RPT: Lake levels at transient lakes

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 09:31:37 -0400

I forgot to include some info on the levels of the transient lakes near
Woodburn in my post last night.

McElroy Lake -- probably covering 50-75+ acres with shallow water,
although several strips of land showing; it's really better shorebird
habitat than waterfowl habitat at this point. Hopefully Wednesday's rain
will help it stay a bit longer. We accessed from the east side in the AM
and were able to pretty easily see most of the waterfowl by walking most
of length from northeast to southwest (walking is quite easy right now
due to short vegetation and use of "no-till" planting methods for the
past couple of crops). Smaller shorebirds were harder to resolve on the
west side of the lake from here, but most action was near the north and
south ends.

Chaney Lake -- there was some shallow water on the front side but few
birds there. Back side had most of what few birds were seen there. I
also forgot to mention that Pied-billed Grebes were already hooting
their territorial calls there; Chaney will last awhile, but it is not
easy to access.

Walton's Pond -- wasn't really swollen, but it disappears pretty quickly
so it won't last too long without some more rain.

bpb, Frankfort