[birdky] RPT: Green River Lake CBC

  • From: Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 10:32:34 -0500

Mark Monroe, Beth Ciuzio, Shawchyi Vorisek, Laura Patton and I participated
on the Green River Lake CBC yesterday, December 18th. What a BEAUTIFUL day!
I was looking forward to a wintry landscape, but all we got were
intermittent 33 degree rain showers all day. Despite the crummy weather, we
tallied 73 species on the day around the lake.  Highlights were a smattering
of Common Loons and Horned Grebes; 13 spp of waterfowl including 2 No
Shoveler; 1 No Pintail, 11 Greater Scaup, 1 Common Goldeneye, and 7 Ruddy
Ducks; 7 Bald Eagles, a gull roost count of 1050+ Ringers, 125 Bonies, and a
Herring; 105+ Sandhill Cranes standing along an isolated shoreline at dusk;
a Ruby-crowned Kinglet; 8 Hermit Thrushes; 1 Brown Thrasher; 2 Savannah
Sparrows; 2 Chipping Sparrows; and 4 Purple Finches. Our potential most
interesting bird of the day was a swan that flew over the lake in the
afternoon. It came up quick on us and was high enough that we couldn't quite
see bill color/structure well in binocs. We all felt like it was large, but
the bill appeared dark and the color did not seem snow white (at least to
most of us:o). May have just been a Trumpeter from the introduction programs
in the Great Lakes states?? There were other counters out so the tally will
likely be a good one for the day.

bpb, Louisville