[birdky] RPT: General Water Level in SC KY

  • From: "Bennett, Mark" <Mark.Bennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 16:03:42 -0500

30 March 2008:

Yesterday's rain in excess of 2 inches in Logan County has increased the
size of transient pools and ponds within the county.  Notably, the
extensive, but short-lived transient pond at Middleton (Simpson County)
(KY 103 and KY 100) has formed.  This pond normally forms in winter or
spring only, when ground water is fairly high, and a big precipitation
event occurs.  It is normally extensive, but short-lived.

I mention this because it means that the transient ponds of Woodburn (10
- 15 miles away) will almost certainly increase substantially in size
and that Morgan's Pond in Southern Christian County is likely to form
now, if it has not already.

Most KY birders would appreciate a post by anyone with information
regarding water levels at these bodies, even if bird details are
limited.  I suspect that even TN birders might appreciate a post there,
if the lakes become bird able as in the past.

That concludes this report.

Mark Bennett, Director of Federal Programs

Logan County School District

PO Box 417

2222 Bowling Green Road

Russellville, KY  42276