[birdky] RPT: Feb 25-26 west KY gulls/waterfowl ...

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EEC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 23:41:59 -0500

Eddie Huber and I toured some west KY spots Thurs-Fri with Hap Chambers along
today around the dams.

Highlights:

Feb 25:

Horseshoe Road Slough, w. Henderson Co. ... 25 Tundra Swans at northeast end,
20 of which lifted off with most of the other waterfowl even though we parked a
good 1/2 to 3/4 mile from them; when we returned to Sauerheber later, 18 of the
20 that left were sitting on the Wood Tract south of 268. There was a nice
assortment of common dabblers and divers on most bodies of water in the area.
We picked out at least 1 good Ross's Goose and 3 more Ross's or Ross's/Snows
with the Snows at Sauerheber.

We ended the day along Clear Creek in southwestern Hopkins County among a bunch
of performing American Woodcocks and at least 3 Short-eared Owls.

Feb 26:

KY Dam ... only a little power generation going on and only about 75 gulls in
the tailwater, but presumably the same adult California Gull that has been
around was one of them (we later saw this bird on the lake above the dam).

Ky Lake above the dam (as viewed from the sailboat marina on the east side) ...
a first-year Great Black-backed Gull was presiding over a dead fish out in the
middle of the lake off the marina; after 20 minutes it finally took flight and
confirmed the ID, settling around one of the buoys above the dam. With the road
over the dam closed, this bird could only have been seen from the sailboat
marina (with AM light) or from Ky Dam Village St Pk vicinity (with afternoon
light) and then only at pretty good distance; we were lucky it was sitting
where it was when we first noted it.

Barkley Dam ... a couple of gates open and much more gull activity during the
day; 1 first-year and 1 second-year Thayer's were what we saw of interest
during two stints of scanning.

Lake Barkley above the dam (as viewed from Green Turtle Bay beach area) ...
female-type Long-tailed Duck; very nice assortment of diving ducks, although
the radiation waves were pretty bad when we were there in late AM.

bpb, Louisville