[birdky] BKY: RFI

  • From: Karen Bonsell <timforpres@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 07:55:45 -0800 (PST)

Hello, this is my first time posting on here, so bear with me. I looked out my
back window this morning and there was a hawk doing a little bird watching of
his own.
He was sitting in a brush type area next to our fence, flying from branch to
branch chasing birds. By the time I got my camera, he was gone.  A couple of
weeks ago,
a hawk flew out of the same tree, I was able to get 1 pic of him flying away in
the distance. I am putting a link to it here. Actually there are 2, one I
zoomed in to get a better
look. The pics aren't great, but may help with identification.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14653045@N00/4392447414/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14653045@N00/4370199224/

This last pic, was one that my husband snapped earlier in the year. Again, he
was sitting in our tree out back. His head is missing, but the chest area is
pretty clear, maybe
someone can tell what kind of hawk he is? I'm not even sure if it is the same
hawk from the other pics, or that I saw this morning.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14653045@N00/4391702067/

But, whatever he is, he's driving me crazy, I want to catch up to him and get
some good pics, but he seems to always stay one step ahead of me. (My husband
says I need
to get some wings of my own), LOL! I should also reveal that I've been feeding
the birds some suet and black oil sunflower seeds, so I imagine he visits us
frequently! I've
been looking at my bird app on my ipod, and I'm wondering if it is a broad
winged hawk? Do we even have those in this area? Thanks for any assistance.
Ooh, another observation, I noticed while he was out there, all of the
squirrels seemed to be sitting very still, this may be a dumb question, but do
hawks eat squirrels
too?

Karen
Lyndon, KY  (Jefferson Co.)