[birdky] RPT: Farming in Jefferson County

  • From: Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:37:14 -0400

Farm chores kept me in Jefferson County on Sunday, but I can't complain.
While mowing a field of vegetation I will loosely refer to as "hay" (Frank
Lyne would probably be too embarrassed to admit that he was mowing for hay a
field of Johnsongrass and crab grass that was going to seed :o) I saw
several interesting birds. A flock of 24 Bobolinks was the most interesting
-- mostly bright yellow juvies, but at least one adult male that still had
10-15 black feathers scattered across his belly. This is the largest group
of Bobbies I ever remember seeing in the fall. The birds were really tame
and despite my numerous passes, some kept returning to the diminishing stand
until the last pass.  I stopped a couple of times and watched them feed and
preen from as close as 30 or so feet. I thought they would be feasting on
the abundant grasshoppers, but every one of them seemed to be gleaning newly
formed seeds of Johnsongrass, crabgrass and foxtail. Also present was at
least one Sedge Wren and a Sora.

As I was walking in to the house as dusk neared, I heard the distinctive
chip of a Connecticut Warbler coming from a patch of sunflowers I have
growing for the birds. I think I've only seen Connecticut in the fall on 4
or 5 occasions over the years, but this is the second time I've had a bird
in the sunflowers (could they be attracted somehow???).  The chip lured me
in and I was surprised to get a glimpse of what appeared to be an adult
male!

bpb, Louisville