[birdky] RPT- Around Cave Run to Red River Gorge

  • From: Evelyn Morgan <one4est@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird KY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 08:07:08 -0700 (PDT)

Yesterday 3/11 as I was walking into the office at Cave Run before daylight, I
heard a Loon.  It was a great thing to hear.   Yesterday afternoon came around
Beaver Creek, all the usual you would expect to see, and many, many Robins.  No
activity yet at the heron rookery.   In the Shallow Flats area, coots, gadwall
and buffel head ducks.   Minor Clark Hatchery still torn up with construction,
but the larger pond now have some water.   A few ducks and geese present...lots
of redwings and grackles.  Did see bluebirds and heard a meadowlark singing.

  This morning there was steady stream of gulls, ring bills my best guess,
leaving the lake.   I think they like the landfill.  A couple of grebe continue
to hang around the dam tower...Turkey(10) flew across the road on KY 826 near
the river,  all in all not a bad place to work.  I stopped on Tarr Ridge for a
photo and heard a Pine Warbler singing, my first of the season.   Finally at
the Gladie Center in the Red River Gorge a dead tree had 14 Turkey Vultures
roosting and 2 Flickers. The day is still young.....

  Evelyn Morgan
  Cave Run to Red River Gorge