[birdky] Purple Martins

  • From: <purplemartin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:38:51 -0500

Hello,
My name is Larry Melcher. I am a volunteer ar Bernheim Forest in Bullitt
County, and I could use some help at this public colony I've started.

I am a Purple Martin landlord. I have a 58 cavity colony at home, and I manage
2 public sites, one at Bernheim Arboretum & Research Forest, and the other one
at Ford Motor Co, where I work.

I have been managing this public site that I started for about 3 years now, and
have been hoping to meet other folks interested in Purple Martins.

I can use things as simple as someone that visits Bernheim often, to just help
me monitor the colony by emailing me what they saw while looking at the colony.
Just a simple email of: " Hey Larry. I saw what looked like 10 pairs of
martins. No Starlings today. One Hawk flew by."

I could use folks that are knowledgable about Purple Martins to help me with
public educational programs from time to time.

I would like to meet another Purple Martin landlords to help spread the word
that Purple Martins almost entirely depend on human supplied nest sites, and
they need more folks managing martin housing in their own backyards.

This is my second time at Bird KY. Please bear with me, I'm learning my way
around... smile.

Larry Melcher
Bullitt County, Shepherdsville KY
purplemartin AT windstream DOT net