[birdky] Predator identification help from the little birds

  • From: "Debby & Steve Tyson" <tyson9152@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 18:12:32 -0600

I was reminded again this weekend of the predator bird identification help
we get from our little feeder birds.  This afternoon I noticed that the
Chickadees and the Titmouse pair (that often visit the feeders together),
were acting nervous and agitated.  I could not hear them, but they have a
unique way of flipping their tails when a Shrike is nearby.  I went to the
window for a better look and, sure enough, a Loggerhead Shrike was sitting
on the berry canes, about 40 yards away.  Occasionally, we see a lone
Chickadee sitting absolutely still, which is another sure Shrike giveaway.
At other times, someone will say something like "hey, where are all the
birds."  Normally, the feeders are crawling with activity and, if nothing is
moving or anywhere in sight, a search of the nearby Post Oaks often reveals
an Accipiter.  In fact, we seldom spot an Accipiter here without a hint from
the little feeder birds.

About a month ago, we spotted our first Red-shouldered Hawk here, which
turned out to be a juvenile.  This area is too open for Red-shouldered
Hawks, so when I spotted this bird sitting on our Bluebird box, about 50
yards from the feeders, it registered as a resting juvenile Cooper's Hawk.
I did not give it a second look because Cooper's are common here.  Then it
occurred to me that the birds at the feeders were completely ignoring it!
While I was processing this oddity, a Mockingbird started harassing it!  I
grabbed my binocular for a better look and realized that the size was right
for a big Cooper's, but the tail was far too short and the body too blocky.
It then flew a short distance to the berry canes and I recognized that the
flight was not right either.  I later showed a photo of the resting hawk to
my daughter and asked what it was.  She glanced at it and said "juvenile
Cooper's".  We were confused but, even without a Sibley's or Peterson field
guide and binoculars, the little birds knew it was NOT a Cooper's.  They
just know who to be afraid of and who is okay.

Stephen Tyson, Adairville (Schochoh), Logan Co., KY

When posting on BIRDKY, please close posts with
your first and last name and your address (city or county).

To post on BIRDKY, send e-mail to:
birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Visit the KOS website at
http://www.biology.eku.edu/kos/default.htm