[birdky] Osprey sighting

  • From: doty mcquerry <dmcquerry23@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 12:05:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hello.  I was wanting to post a sighting and ask a question at the same time.
I was at Lake Reba in Richmond, KY, yesterday, and I saw what I believed to be
3 ospreys.  I had binoculars and got a good look at them.  They were flying and
then diving into the water, which was very cool.  Also, 1 of them was coming
and going to a nest in an old tree.  The question is, though, that my birding
book says that they only migrate through this area and then some spend summers
in the western part of Kentucky, so could it have been osprey?  I'm not the
best at identifying birds, but they sure looked like osprey to me.

Thanks,
Doty McQuerry
Richmond, KY