[birdky] Mitchell Lake - shorebirds

  • From: HapC1@xxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 18:28:31 EDT

I took advantage of the gorgeous day to go to Ballard County for a little
birding.  Swan Lake and the surrounding areas were not very  productive.
Mitchell Lake at Ballard WMA was a haven for waders,  shorebirds, geese and
ducks.
Following are the highlights for the day:
Northern Shoveler -2
Northern Bobwhite
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Bald Eagle
Killdeer - hundreds including some young
Greater Yellowlegs - 1
Lesser Yellowlegs - 14
Solitary Sandpiper - 1
Spotted Sandpiper - 7
Semipalmated Sandpiper - 4
Western Sandpiper - 2
Least Sandpiper - 27+
Pectoral Sandpiper - 30+
Stilt Sandpiper - 4
Least Tern - 23
Swallows are gathering on the lines around the lake.
I was frustrated because there was one shorebird that I was never able to
identify.  It looked like a Dunlin but the plumage was odd and I could not
relocate it or get a picture.  I had to let it go but sure would love for
someone
else to find that bird.
Hap