[birdky] Minor Clark Fish Hatchery - Saturday

  • From: Lana Hays <lhays2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 13:47:10 -0500

The weather was lousy in Northern Kentucky Saturday so I headed east to
Minor Clark Fish Hatchery.....good move as it was sunny with lots of
birds...about 30 species and I'm just learning the birds.

I was surprised at the number and variety of shorebirds.  There were 9
Dunlins, many Killdeer, 1 pectoral sandpiper, 2 Greater Yellowlegs, and 1
Lesser Yellowlegs.

Other highlights were a cattle egret, black vultures as well as turkey
vultures, horned grebe, Canada geese, Blue-winged teals, wood ducks,
mallards, blue morph snow goose, Northern Mockingbird, Palm Warbler, Cape
May Warbler, Eastern Bluebird, Song Sparrow, Yellow-rumped Warblers, Eastern
Phoebe,  Eastern Meadowlarks, crows, red-tailed hawk, kestrel, belted
kingfisher, and osprey.  Probably a couple of others but that's the best
that I can remember.

I also took photographs again and you can see what I shot yesterday (as well
as the previous 2 visits at the webpage below).  Let me know if I have any
that are incorrect named.....and help me with the one sparrow that I have
shown.  Thanks.  (When you use slide show, you may need to hit any vertical
pictures again to get their full size).

http://homepage.mac.com/lhays/KYBirds/PhotoAlbum77.html

Lana Hays
Walton, KY