[birdky] Mew Gull

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 05:21:56 -0700 (PDT)

The Mew Gull was still present in the same general area when I left Barren late
yesterday afternoon.  I'll be back there today and will post if I see it
again.

I was in a boat but it could have been viewed with a scope from Peninsula
parking lot or Bailey's Point boat ramp/campground area.  If it stays though
the day today it will likely be present in the gull roost just before dark best
viewed from Bailey's Point campground.  From the campground look towards
Mason's Island, the birds roost in the middle of the lake in this area.

This bird showed up exactly one year to the day from the Barren Mew Gull last
year and makes me wonder if it may be the same bird.  The gull dropped in with
about 70 Ring-billeds and a Herring and interrupted my crappie fishing.  Other
birds seen yesterday were a fly-by trio of Dunlin and about 80 high southbound
Double-crested Cormorants as well as coots, Bald Eagles and Ospreys.

Copied below is a link to a weather map for those interested in bird migration
and weather.  You can click on "previous day" in the upper left corner of the
page to follow the series of high pressure systems back to the Pacific
Northwest where this bird came from.  During migration, birds often move with
an approaching high pressure due to optimum conditions with generally clear
skies and northwesterly/northerly winds.  A series of counter-clockwise
rotating low pressure systems across northern Canada during the previous few
days contributed to the optimum conditions for migration.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/dailywxmap/index_20101017.html

David Roemer
Bowling Green