[birdky] Longspurs in Fayette Co.

  • From: joe.pulliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "Birdky" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 03:29:54 +0000

Today, Doreen and I birded the UK research farm at Spindletop for a couple of
hours before dusk. After searching Central KY without luck for longspurs all
winter, we hit the jackpot and saw several flocks of Lapland longspurs totaling
about 50 birds. Even better, several of the males were molting into breeding
colors. Not bad for a new life bird for me. I presume they've been there before
and we've just missed them. One thing different today is there were no kestrels
- maybe that (and hormones) made the longspurs a little bit braver. Also
present were many horned larks, meadowlarks, a few snipe, savannah and song
sparrow, red-winged blackbirds, a red-tailed hawk, mallard, bufflehead,
American wigeon, ring-necked duck, redheads, mute swan and Canada geese (no
Cackling). There was also a very tame blue morph snow goose mixed with domestic
geese and a few Canada geese at the Energy Center pond next door.

Last weekend, we saw a couple of Vesper sparrows at Spindletop. As Ian has
pointed out in previous postings, this is a very nice place to bird, almost
like a midwest prairie in Kentucky.

Joe
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T