[birdky] Kriders! Juncoes?

  • From: "Joan Carr" <joan-of-art@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:24:01 -0500

Hi All,
Many times Les and I have seen Red-tailed Hawks which we have IDed as
Kriders. However, in the past people of authority have pooh-poohed our
reports. Sunday we watched one through the scope for about 30 minutes.
It was in full sun in a tree, preening and surveying, so we had
wonderful views of it. It had only the faintest of striping at the top
of a very white chest and very faint markings on the tail. We tried for
photos, but were unable to get acceptable ones. What characteristics
distinguish the light morphed from the Kriders, or vice versa?

Now, for Juncoes. Has anyone noted a scarcity of them this year? I don't
think that we have seen a single Junco this year.

Cheers, Joan of Art and Nature Carr
S. Williamson, KY Pike Co.