[birdky] Interesting bird behavior

  • From: "Record, D. Scott" <DSRecord@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 00:38:00 -0400

Early this evening while making my rounds at work I stopped to watch
swallows catching insects over the discharge channel.  Here, I can always
count on 4 species of swallows and sometimes 5.  However, today I noticed
several cedar waxwings hawking insects along with a mixed flock of swallows.
I have seen various flycatchers doing this but never waxwings.  That's one
thing I love about birding.  I see something new every time I go out.  I
also found a common nighthawk incubating 2 eggs on the pea gravel covered
roof of the powerhouse.  It allowed me to approach within 5 feet before
taking off as delicately as a moth and alighting only ten feet away feigning
injury with wings spread flat out and mouth gaping.  I played along and it
led me perhaps 50 feet before it took to the sky.  These birds sure rely
heavily on their cryptic coloration because if I had been a real predator,
such as a cat, I would have easily caught this bird before it even got off
the nest.

Scott Record