[birdky] Hend. Co.: Sloughs WMA, Sauerheber Unit

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxx>
  • To: BirdKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 13:53:58 -0600

The geese seem to have maybe changed their behavior now that waterfowl season
has started.
(If you have not visited the Sloughs before it is surrounded by blinds and pits
of hunters.)

I found none on the ground or in the water. All were seen in air over Muddy
Slough and Wood Tract south.
And by 8:30AM they had disappeared. I assume to Pond Creek Marsh.

There was mixed flock of I guess 15,000 blackbirds working old cornfields
before I got to the Sloughs. It consisted of Red-winged Blackbirds, Grackles,
Cowbirds, and Starlings.
Largest I have seen this year.

After Sunday Modern Gun Deer season ends locally. So I might venture into more
wooded areas again.

KY Sloughs WMA - Sauerheber Winter Drive along 268, Henderson, Kentucky, US
Nov 27, 2015 8:35 AM - 9:05 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
15 species

Greater White-fronted Goose X airborne only
Snow Goose X airborne only
Gadwall X @ Anderson Pond
Mallard X
Northern Shoveler X