[birdky] Hays Kennedy Park and Garvin Brown area.

  • From: "major waltman" <majorwaltman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 00:10:42 -0400

I am glad to see that many of my fellow birders are beginning to enjoy the benifits of birding one of my favorite areas in Jefferson Co.  I have watched this place for the last few years as the vegetation slowly evolved into some prime marsh bird and sparrow habitat not to mention many other good species habitat.  Even though the marsh bird habitat is small the birds have managed to locate it for some stop over foraging.  More proof for the theory that if the habtat is there, the birds will find it.  However, I have noticed some serious trampling of the grasses in the small ditch next to the parking area (could be dogs but could be ambitious birders as well) so let's be careful not to love the place to death partly because it is so small.  It may have been by shear chance that the area was not mowed completely like in previous years because it was to wet for the tractors.  Just a couple of days ago I spoke with a good friend of mine who is a landscape architect with the parks dept. and suggested that this area be managed in the future for the promotion of marsh habitat.  We actually talked about this a couple of years ago and she said that she has been trying hard to convince the mowers not to cut that area.  Now that we have some birds using the area as a stop over, it may be the time to really push to get a real management plan on paper.

There is another really good piece of marsh habitat on the other side of the soccer/lacross field that I just know is going to turn up a rail soon.  I found the Marsh Wren in that area today.  Also if you walk the continuation of the above mentioned ditch into the Garvin Brown property you will find more good marsh habitat where I found a Sedge Wren today and where my dog flushed a rail of sorts about two weeks ago.

Here is a list of Sparrows seen in the area over the last three weeks:

Swamp
Song
Nelson's Sharped-tailed
LeConte's
Vesper
White-throated
White-crowned
Clay-colored
Field
Savannagh
Chipping
Lincoln's

Yes, that is 12 species with Tree Sparrow surely to follow soon.

There are now some plowed fields adjacent to the Garvin Brown property where I saw at least 30 Killdeer today.

Thanks and good birding,

Major Waltman
Louisville, KY
================NOTES TO SUBSCRIBERS============== The BIRDKY Mailing List requires you to sign your messages with first & last name, city, & state abbreviation. -------------------------------------------------- To post to this mailing list, send e-mail to: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx -------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe, send e-mail to: birdky-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject line. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Visit the Kentucky Ornithological Society web site at http://www.biology.eku.edu/kos.htm * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * BIRDKY List Manager: Gary Ritchison, Richmond, KY E-mail: gary.ritchison@xxxxxxx