[birdky] Ft Knox - Snow Geese, Sapsucker

  • From: "Randel Rogers" <randel_rogers@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:16:26 -0500

The last week has brought interesting and sometimes sudden bird movements to
Ft. Knox, starting with one of my coworkers observing "several V's of white
ducks with black wing tips" moving over the post last Thursday.  With
assistance from a field guide, he was able to confirm that he had seen snow
geese - a flock that he estimated to be in the low hundreds!
Also at the end of last week, I notice that the local bluebird population has
begun to group together in the small islands of trees found sprinkled across
post.  When I got here last February I noticed this grouping, then as mating
season approached they seemed to spread out and were not as commonly observed
around our offices.

With this weeks change in weather I have noticed some new arrivals as well -
overnight we have been overrun with juncos, and today I saw my first yellow
bellied sapsucker of the year fruitlessly tapping away at a phone pole.

I have also had a small group of 4 meadow larks that have been hanging out at
the office since Friday, and the wave of blue jays seems to be un-ending.  Also
near the office, a red-headed woodpecker has been around on a regular basis.

Along Otter Creek on the west side of post I have had great luck hearing great
horned owls this week, but have not made it back with a tape to see if I could
spot them.

Declining in numbers seems to be the goldfinch - during the late summer mating
season I often had a dozen around the feeder eating me out of house and home,
but now I have regular visits of no more than 2-3.

Someone dropped a large red apple along the street outside our barracks the
other day, and I had a pretty good time watching a mocking bird cautiously
approach and peck at it to determine if it was food or foe - in the end I think
he determined it might be a little of each, and after a few hearty bites, he
abandoned it for the less intimidating fruit on several nearby cultivated fruit
trees.