[birdky] FW: Reelfoot Lake CBC results

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 12:05:18 -0500

This summary (below) of the Reelfoot Lake CBC on the miserably rainy
Saturday comes from compiler, Mark Greene. Ken Leggett, Nancy Moore,
Gary Pogue, and myself covered the Kentucky sliver of the count area
that included the Long Point Unit. Our highlights/limited contributions
to the list from KY included a soaking wet Merlin I saw early in the AM;
at least 10 Least Sandpipers on a wet area (now that sounds weird in
that *everything* was wet!) between Stateline Road and KY 2134; and lots
of Lapland Longspurs and American Pipits. We got most of the dabblers
including nice numbers of Northern Shovelers, Gadwall, and American
Wigeon. Geese were mostly on the TN side of Long Point and the wad of
Snows on Saturday probably contained 5K or more birds with nearly that
many Greater White-fronteds around and 10s of thousands of Mallards; we
picked out a couple of Ross's but couldn't find a Cackling. The
waterfowl are not especially easy to see from the Long Point tower this
year because of tall vegetation in many of the management units.

bpb, Frankfort