[birdky] Caperton Swamp 9/17 & 9/18

  • From: BenYand@xxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 05:56:44 EDT

Hello KY birders,
    I was in Louisville for a conference this week and managed to sneak away
and do some birding (priorities!).  I went to Caperton Swamp following
reports that I had read on KY Birds, hoping to fill out my KY list with some
fall migrants.  ...
    9/17 - late afternoon (4-6 PM) amidst a couple of showers.  Numerous
Magnolias and Redstarts, 3 imm. Chestnut-Sided, 1 Yellowthroat, 1 male BTG,
1 Ovenbird, 1 male Mourning (2 all too brief looks), 1 imm Tennessee (a
lifer!), 1 B&W.  Later added 1 male Wilson's at Thurman-Hutchins Park.  Also
1 imm. Sharpie.
    9/18 early morning (7:45 - 9:30 AM) Started off with a very cooperative
imm
male Mourning in a tree along the trail at the first clearing.  There was a
large, loose flock working the middle and west side of the larger clearing.
It included many Redstart and Maggies (though more Redstarts, a switch in
abundance from the night before), 2 imm. Chestnut-Sideds, 2 Tennessees (1
adult male and 1 imm), 2 B&W, 2 Wilson's (1 adult male, 1 imm), 1
Orange-Crowned, and 1 Connecticut (my second ever - a great bonus!).  The
flock also included Pewee, 1 Least Fly, 2 unidentified empid sp. (not Least)
and a YB Cuckoo.  At the exit of the trail, another birder pointed out a
Blue-Winged.
    In all, I was quite impressed with the quality of the migrants here esp.
considering that the weather did not seem particularly conducive for a good
wave of migrants.  I happily added 15 species to my KY list.

Good Birding,
Glen Lovelace III
Seaford, DE