[birdky] Cackling Goose Photos and Recent Birding

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:24:21 -0800 (PST)

Dr. Gary Ritchison has created a couple of pages for
the KOS website of B.h.hutchinsii (Richardson's form
of Cackling Goose) photos which I obtained at Griffin
Park in Warren County on December 20.  A number of
photos has been included to accurately portray the
variation in the birds present as well as provide a
good comparison with the migrant B.c.interiors with
which they were associating.

Image S on the second page shows a pair of
intermediate-sized birds (middle pair behind Cackling
Goose in foreground) which I wondered was possibly
B.c.parvipes (Lesser Canada Goose) or just small
interiors.

My thanks to Dr. Ritchison for publishing these pages.
 Links below:

http://www.biology.eku.edu/KOS/goose.html

http://www.biology.eku.edu/KOS/goose2.html

Recent birding highlights are as follows:

Jan 9

Snow Goose  light-morph  Walton's Pond  Warren Co

Sandhill Crane  3 McElroy Lake
                2 southbound over Bowling Green

Purple Finch  female  Shaker Mill/Warren

Lapland Longspur  flock of app. 100 along McElwain Rd
Woodburn area/Warren Co

Jan 10  Barkley/Ky Dams w/Robert Dever and Hap
Chambers

Common Loon 1 Barkley

PB Grebe  40+  Scattered

Horned Grebe  100+ Barkley  200+ Ky

The rafts of divers above Barkley Dam and upstream
from Little Bear Creek on Ky viewed from the boat ramp
contained 7000 and 3200 birds respectively.

Redhead 2 Ky

Ring-necked Duck 200 mostly Barkley

Gr. Scaup  100+  mostly Barkley

L. Scaup  appr. 80% both rafts

Goldeneye  100+ Barkley  500+ Ky

Red-breasted Merganser  app. 100 Barkley  15 Ky

Ruddy  200+ most Barkley

Peregrine Falcon  Barkley Dam

Laughing Gull  2nd winter or adult  Ky Dam

Thayer's Gull  2 adult Barkley Dam

Lesser Black-backed Gull  adult Ky Dam

Great Black-backed Gull  1st yr  Ky Dam

David L. Roemer