[birdky] COOPER'S HAWKS

  • From: "Marsh, Scott" <SMarsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 07:44:14 -0400

I had a pair of immature Cooper's Hawks in and about the yard last
night. They chased each other high and low, in and out, with lots of
vocals. I assume their antics were courtship, but they were not mature
birds. How long does it take for them to get adult plumage and to mate?

My chickens were flattened to the ground during their presence. I doubt
a Cooper's would take an adult chicken, but the Red-tailed that was
eyeing them over the weekend most certainly had food on her mind.

Scott

lexington