[birdky] Busy, busy yard birds

  • From: "Joan Carr" <joan-of-art@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 16:44:39 -0400

Les and I have been having fun watching some of the recent fledglings. The
male RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER brought two youngsters to the front yard this
morning, showing them the "works" of the sunflower and suet feeders. But one
of the young ones just sat on a limb and shuttered until "Daddy" brought the
treat to him/her. The adult EASTERN PHOEBE has been bee picking at the hives
and then feeding the youngsters some honey bees. DOWNY WOODPECKERS,
CARDINALS, HOUSE FINCH, ETC. have also been bringing the young to the
feeders. We have been fortunate to have several WOOD THRUSHES in the yard
and nearby. This morning we watched an adult gathering worms and insects to
take back to the nest. So, there are some babies! Posts on other bird
listservs have indicated that the WOOD THRUSH is on the decline in several
areas, which has been on-going for a few years now. I anxiously wait for
them to sing every year and then breathe a sign of relief for another year.
Lots of warblers have been very vocal, but illusive: CERULEAN, AMERICAN
REDSTART, KENTUCKY, OVENBIRD, YELLOW-THROATED, HOODED, ETC.

Try to keep cool!

Cheers,

Joan Carr, Pike Co., South Williamson