[birdky] [BirdKY]

  • From: Karen Bonsell <timforpres@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 20:33:14 -0700 (PDT)

Today my husband and I went to an area across from 6 mile Island, on the
Indiana side. I had heard there were Bald Eagles over there! We didn't see
anything and we were about to leave when my husband saw something in the trees.
I think it was a Bald Eagle, I took some pics, but they are not good, at all. I
will put a link and maybe someone here can tell, It kinda looks like it could
be a Juvenile, but seemed to have most of it's white head. Anyway, if that is
what it was, then it was my first time to see one in the wild! I'm just so
excited!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14653045@N00/

BTW, thanks to everyone for the help in ID'ing the hawk pics I posted last
month! The Cooper's visited again last week when I was on the deck with my
camera, so I got a couple of decent shots! They are on my flickr page where the
Eagle pics are!

Also, I wanted to mention that sometime in Jan. I thought I saw a Black Vulture
near the RR tracks on Old Lagrange Road, in Lyndon, KY.  Basically, it looked
like a Turkey Vulture, but with a black head and face. From everything I read,
that seems to be what it was. Last week, however, I saw 2 of them in about the
same area! Could they be nesting somewhere near? Are they even common in this
area? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm kinda new at this!

Thanks again, Karen Bonsell
Louisville, KY (Lyndon)