[birdky] Behavior question

  • From: rod <rodmanprice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 17:56:00 -0700 (PDT)

I have a bird behavior question that actually is very stupid, but I'm going to
ask it anyway because I am the ABA SQC* Chairman. :-)  When I'm driving, why do
the birds wait until just before I pass to fly across the street right in front
of my car? I ride my brakes, especially in residential areas, for this reason.
I miss them by inches. A few years ago, I didn't miss a House Sparrow and felt
terrible about it. Am I imagining this? Certainly this doesn't happen to me
alone. Is there a name for this behavior?

Thank you for enlightening me,
Rod Botkins
Jefferson Co.

*Stupid Question Committee.**

**Just kidding. There is no such committee. If there was though, I'm sure I'd
be the chairman. :-)

"The more clearly we can focus our attention on the wonders and realities
of the universe about us, the less taste we shall have for destruction."
Rachel Carson
stateofthebirds.org