[birdky] BKY: RPT -- West Ky Sept 1-2

  • From: Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 09:29:19 -0400

Shorebirds remain somewhat difficult to come by with 14 spp observed this
weekend, Sept 1-2.  Migrant passerines are also lacking for this time of the
year, although I bet they flood south with the next good front.

At the Peabody site in Union County we visited a couple of weeks ago on the
KOS trip, modest numbers of shorebirds continue including Baird's and
Western.  Other interesting birds at that location included a Bell's Vireo,
a Marsh Wren, a Sora, three juvenile Common Moorhens (can't figure this one
out as I didn't see any birds during a few visits all summer, but this
observation makes me think the species nested there even though the birds
looked like they could fly well).

Lake No. 9 continues to host many waders (800-1000 total), but only the same
species and numbers as have been present recently.  The number of
Black-necked Stilts was down to 8 (6 in family + 2), and only a few
additional species (Killdeer, Semi Plover, Les Yellowlegs, Least Sp, Semi
Sp, Spotted Sp); about 40 Am White Pelicans and some Least Terns were also
present.

The Carlisle Co. Miss River sandbars were pretty disappointing.  The Miss
came up about five feet during the past week and a half and covered up what
habitat has been there. It's now on the fall again, but habitat is scarce.
Greater yellowlegs and Sanderling were added to the shorebird list, but
numbers were not impressive.  Still no Buff-breasteds!

As with Mark B., Amy and I were also unsuccessful in finding the S-t
Flycatcher family (we looked on Sat), although the din of cicadas may have
drowned out any chance we had at hearing their call notes.  We also looked
on the west side of the river below the dam without luck.

An adult Laughing Gull molting in to basic plumage was sitting on Kentucky
Lock with sev hundred Ringers on Monday afternoon.

bpb, Louisville
brainard.palmer-ball@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx