[birdky] 12/26 tour of w. Henderson Co. & U'town Dam

  • From: Charles Crawford <cr4d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 17:00:04 -0600

12/26

I did a morning tour of western Henderson Co. Sloughs units. Damp, overcast, calm, 33º. 7:30AM to 11:30AM.

I started out above Uniontown Dam (Union Co.). Not much present: Com. crow, Starling, Red-tailed hawk, N. Harrier, Great blue heron,
Ring-billed gulls (30) , Canvasbacks (20), Lesser scaup (5).

Next a short walk in the woods at Highland Creek Unit: Woodpeckers: Red-headed, Red-bellied, Downy, Yellow-bellied sapsucker;
White-breasted nuthatch, Carolina wren, Carolina chickadee, Ruby- crowned kinglet, Golden-crowned kinglet, Robin.

Onto to Grassy Pond/Highland Creek Unit: Swamp Sparrow, Com. Grackle, Red-winged blackbird, Am. goldfinch.

I drove by Horseshoe Road slough: no water - no ducks, but a duck blind is set up and decoys around it and hunters waiting.

Anderson Pond: Ring-necked ducks, Am. widgeons, Mallards; most of the water plants have died and sunk into the water making observation easier.

Main unit of Sloughs from observation towers: Mallards, Shovelers, Gadwall, Widgeons, Canada Geese, Greater white fronted geese, Green- wing teal.
I did NOT see any Tundra Swans.

Finally a short walk in Cape Hills Unit woods: Tufted titmouse, Cardinal, Robin, Song sparrow, White-throated sparrow, Rufous-sided towhee, Blue jay.

Seen along the roads and on power lines: Mourning doves, Horned larks, Am. Kestrels.

Charlie
Henderson Co.