[bestwayfarms] Mission Statement

  • From: "Kim Cooper" <coop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bestwayfarms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Kip and Beth Gardner" <kipandbeth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 22:32:30 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Folks:

I'm typing this for about the fourth time - not a good idea with bad carpal
- but....

If it looks like it shouldn't have taken this long to put this together -
oddly, this is the absolute shortest version.  It started out at five pages
and has wittled down to these important components.  I still have homework
to do.

Jean (my bride) tells me this is good, but I'm not sure that meant total buy
in.  She was putting her own list together.

Mission Statement:

To Move as Close to Financial Independence as Possible while improving
overall quality of life.  Very brief description below-

Financial Independence

No House/property mortage - or as minimal as possible.
Low taxes
Low Insurance
Low Heating & Cooling
As much 'free' produce as possibe
Independent Energy source where it makes economic sense

Quality of Life

Safety
Shared Property augmenting lifestyle, not replacing it.
Nice Neighbors - perfection not possible, but concern for peace is very
important.
Reasonable Proximity to Emergency (medical) facilities and, for now, an
airport.
Room to Roam (baseball diamond etc.)
Community Center, Place to watch movies, shoot hoops during the winter(for
the kids), entertain, dance or group activities.

Protection of Investment.

    Must have an exit plan!  Individual investment must at least have a
promise of maintaining value relative to inflation for many reasons.  I can
think of several approaches.  We've lost money on two houses out of three in
30 years.  That is not a good thing, for a lot of reasons.  I do not look at
this as a 'house' but I also know that things happen that can force you to
relocate - and not just job changes.
Family Expansion

Must be able to expand familes by adding homes for Mother-n-law and
potentially adult children if they see the light.