[bestwayfarms] Re: Betterway

  • From: Kip and Beth Gardner <kipandbeth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bestwayfarms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 23:02:03 -0400

Dear Jean,
I genuinely appreciate your reply just as it is. I fully believe that the same powers in our society that try to keep us afraid of others also tries to keep us afraid of ourselves and severely limits what we as individuals can accomplish. If we could control our own health care without a company plan many more of us would pursue our dream jobs (including homesteading.) The reason I've taken up the lead voice for Kip and I lately is that he is absolutely exhausted, working a full-time job and a consulting job, trying to make our garden a productive market garden and figure out for himself how to transition to a more fulfilling career. Last summer he was the main voice for our family in community communications as he was spending almost all of his time negotiating a deal for the farm near Wooster that fell through, while I looked after the home, Hannah, and worked as much as I could to put money away for either us getting the farm or Kip's job ending (as we knew it would be when the grant ran out.) Likewise, I think that community is a very powerful way of opposing the isolation and pressures of our go-it-alone single-family society. I hope for your continued involvement. You have a lot to offer this group and I hope this process and, hopefully, outcome have a lot to offer you. What would make being involved easier for you? A set or different meeting time or place? Continued e-mail communication? A hand in your garden some weekend? Let us know. I hope to see you soon. You are missed. Thank you for responding.
Peace, Beth

Beth,
I have been trying to put together a reply to you last e-mails to no avail. I do not want you to think that I am not aware of or have stopped caring about the group and the hopes and goals of all involved. It does seem that in the past year or so I have come face to face with my personal energy limitations. Perhaps it is one of the goals of the prevailing society to keep everyone so busy and exhausted that they really don't have time or energy to make fundamental chages to their lives or the society as a whole. On the other hand my own personal struggles with having a home and garden to care for alone as well as a full time job that is physical in nature makes me keenly aware of the potenital benefits of belonging to a community of like minded individuals working together for a better life for the group. What you are trying to do is an important and powerful thing and I hope it can continue to move forward.

Blessings always,
Jean

--

North Canton, OH