[bcbirdclub] White bird reappears

  • From: wdunson@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wad4@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 21:31:51 +0000 (UTC)

The unusual white bird which had been hanging around our SW VA farm has
reappeared. It was last photographed on May 6 and I decided it must be a
redwing blackbird based on shape and behavior.

These photos taken today support that ID in my opinion.

The bird continues to be rather shy for a redwing as might be expected for a
white bird that stands out so distinctly to predators.

The color of the eye in these two photos is unclear although in some previous
cases it appeared to be red. If red, that would indicate an albino instead of a
white mutation that might have a dark eye. A white buffalo was considered to be
sacred by some western Indian tribes, so I hope that this white redwing will
bring us some much needed rain!

Bill Dunson
Galax/Baywood, VA Grayson County