[bcbirdclub] Upcoming RCBC Events

  • From: "Jerry Thornhill" <mjt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'BCBC Listserve'" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 11:04:02 -0400

The Russell County Bird Club has two events coming up within the next few
days.  Everyone (club member or not) is invited to participate in both.
However, both require prior registration because both involve food
preparation.

Next Saturday, September 22, there will be a Warbler Walk at the Thornhills'
house.  Gather around 8 a.m. for pastries, coffee, tea, soft drinks, and
birding from the deck.  Later those who want can walk up the hollow to look
for migrants and residents.  If you want to walk, you should have
appropriate footwear for very wet grass.  Last year's event produced several
interesting moments including a pair of ravens in a foot-locked spiral
toward the ground, a Golden Eagle fly-over, and a low flying unusually light
Red-tailed Hawk along with 11 warbler species.  Following the walk, we'll
have a lunch of hot dogs, hamburgers, chips, dessert, and various beverages.
Deadline for registration is Thursday, September 20.

The other event is our Annual Banquet which will be on Tuesday, September
25, at the Elk Garden United Methodist Church with a meal catered by some of
the great cooks of the church.  The meal will include a salad, beef &
chicken entrees, green beans, scalloped potatoes, dessert, coffee, and tea
for just $15.  The speaker for the banquet is Dick Peake, an outstanding
birder from Southwest Virginia, retired from UVA Wise who now spends a lot
of his time on Galveston Island in Texas.  Dick will talk about Early
Migration Birds of Texas.  We'll start at 7 p.m. to allow for plenty of time
for a great meal, an informative presentation, visiting, and our traditional
exchange of birding related gifts ($10 or less).  Deadline to sign up is
Sunday, September 23.  Pay Secretary/Treasurer Peggy at the event.

We look forward to having you join us for either or both of these events.
Just respond to this email to get on the list.

Directions and a map to both locations are attached.

Jerry Thornhill

President, RCBC