[bcbirdclub] Re: Unidentified Bird, need help

  • From: "David and Susan Raines" <rainbrk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kendridge@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <craigamakufka@xxxxxxxxx>, <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 22:53:08 -0400

Craig,
I agree with Dan, they appear to be Pine Warblers. I haven't heard any woodcock
here yet. They sometimes display over the hayfield behind our home. If they
show I'll let you know.

DaveR/Breaks,VA
  From: craigamakufka@xxxxxxxxx
  Subject: [bcbirdclub] Unidentified Bird, need help
  Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 20:38:12 -0400
  To: bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello, I was in Georgia two weeks ago for a conference and I was able to get a
little bit of birding in. I was in an area near Athens and Macon, GA. I had a
decent list for the little free time I had available. A couple of the
highlights were double-crested cormorants, around 300 Cedar Waxwings (probably
more I am terrible at estimating flocks), and a number of the usual winter
residents. I did come across about 5-6 of these birds that I was not able to
fully identify. I only had my iPhone with me so the pictures I took are
horrible at best. But I know how amazing the birders are on this list and that
I have had the pleasure to bird with, might be able to at least attempt a
guess. I have attached the photos to this email, I tried to zoom in and crop
them with my elementary photo editing program (Preview, on a Mac).  The bird
looked warbler in size, whitish wing bars, greenish yellow face, nape, and
throat. With some having more of that greenish yellow coloration into the
chest. I am sorry I can't not produce better photos. I appreciate any attempt
at identifying the mystery bird. If you need further help, I can look at the
original pictures on my phone and might be a little more clearer than the
zoomed in photos. Also I wanted to pose the question, American Woodcock is a
bird that is NOT on my life list. I would love the chance to see some flight
displays before it gets to into spring and they are no longer performing. Does
anyone have any ideas or possible locations that would allow me to view this
elusive bird. And if more the merrier if anyone wants to actually come along
for the trip. Thank you!! Enjoy your evening.
  Craig Makufka (814) 591-9303 craigamakufka@xxxxxxxxx