[bcbirdclub] Re: Unidentified Bird, need help

  • From: Roger mayhorn <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kendridge@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 22:39:31 -0400 (EDT)

Craig, I agree with Dan. The wingbars are evident and the greenish yellow color
of a Pine Warbler shows up in the photos. Also Pine Warblers are now on the
move heading north.

From: craigamakufka@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bcbirdclub] Unidentified Bird, need help
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 20:38:12 -0400
To: bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,

I was in Georgia two weeks ago for a conference and I was able to get a little
bit of birding in. I was in an area near Athens and Macon, GA. I had a decent
list for the little free time I had available. A couple of the highlights were
double-crested cormorants, around 300 Cedar Waxwings (probably more I am
terrible at estimating flocks), and a number of the usual winter residents. I
did come across about 5-6 of these birds that I was not able to fully identify.
I only had my iPhone with me so the pictures I took are horrible at best. But I
know how amazing the birders are on this list and that I have had the pleasure
to bird with, might be able to at least attempt a guess. I have attached the
photos to this email, I tried to zoom in and crop them with my elementary photo
editing program (Preview, on a Mac).  The bird looked warbler in size, whitish
wing bars, greenish yellow face, nape, and throat. With some having more of
that greenish yellow coloration into the chest. I am sorry I can't not produce
better photos.

I appreciate any attempt at identifying the mystery bird. If you need further
help, I can look at the original pictures on my phone and might be a little
more clearer than the zoomed in photos.

Also I wanted to pose the question, American Woodcock is a bird that is NOT on
my life list. I would love the chance to see some flight displays before it
gets to into spring and they are no longer performing. Does anyone have any
ideas or possible locations that would allow me to view this elusive bird. And
if more the merrier if anyone wants to actually come along for the trip.

Thank you!! Enjoy your evening.

Craig Makufka (814) 591-9303 craigamakufka@xxxxxxxxx