[bcbirdclub] Recent Trips - Ed, Michelle and Chazzy Talbott

  • From: Ed Talbott <aquilaet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan Birds <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 08:35:54 -0700 (PDT)

Buchanan Birders,

  Michelle, Chazzy and I have been busy the past couple of days exploring the
mountains of Southwest Virginia.  Yesterday, we spent the day along the spine
of Clinch Mountain in Russell County.  We were hiking over 4,000 feet and saw
many high-altitude species not normally found at lower elevations.  For those
interested, here is a link to a write-up and trip pictures:
  http://www.pbase.com/aquilaet/clinch

  Saturday, we spent part of the morning looking for Golden-winged Warblers at
Enoch's Branch here in Buchanan County.  We found a single Golden-wing - not a
good sign as this species is getting pushed north by the Blue-winged Warbler.
Here is a link to some hike pictures:
  http://www.pbase.com/aquilaet/enochs1

  Finally a ride up the Virginia Creeper Trail near Damascus produced many
great birds and scenery.  We also found a pair of Green Heron at Stuart's Pond
in Russell County and a Semipalmated Plover and Yellowlegs at Musick's
Campground on Holston Lake.  For those interested, here is a write-up and trip
pictures:
  http://www.pbase.com/aquilaet/creeper

  Hope everyone had a great Memorial Day weekend,

  Ed and Michelle Talbott
  Grundy, Virginia