[bcbirdclub] Birding Head of Slate Creek

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 15:19:57 -0400

Hi All,
This morning Lynda and I birded the Head of Slate Creek, the next hollow north
of Compton Mt off Rt 83. We logged 30 species, but we were mostly birding by
ear since most of the birds were in the tall trees with thick foliage.

The highlight of the day was 3 Swainson's Warblers along the stream that flows
beside the roadway. One of the Swainson's was singing a very unusual song. It
was part Swainson's call mixed with a Louisiana 'Waterthrush call. The first
part of the call sounded like a Swainson's with the second part sounding
somewhat like a Louisiana Waterthrush without the trill at the end. I know that
the Swainson's call normally sounds similar to that of a Louisiana Waterthrush,
but this was different. It may have been due to the fact that its territory was
at the head of a beaver pond, while a Louisiana Waterthrush held a territory
just below it at the other end of the pond. I actually thought the Swainson's
was a waterthrush until I got a look at it through the binoculars. We had
already heard both Swainson's and waterthrush, so our ears were accustomed to
both songs at the time.

Other warblers found were American Redstarts, Black-and-whites, Black-throated
Greens, a Blue-winged Warbler, Hooded Warblers, Northern Parulas, Ovenbirds and
a Yellow-breasted Chat.

At the same time we saw the Blue-winged Warbler we heard a song similar in tone
to a Golden-winged song, but this song consisted of 6 notes, 3 musical notes
then three buzz notes. If you were to add two more notes to the beginning of
the 4 note Golden-winged song you would hear what we heard.The buzz notes were
exactly like that of a Golden-winged. Maybe it was a Brewster's (Blue-winged -
Golden-winged hybrid). We never saw the singer.

Acadian Flycatchers seemed to be everywhere, and so did Wood Thrushes and
Ovenbirds. I was glad to hear so many Wood Thrushes, as they are said to be
declining in number.

Once while listening to the birds, we heard a mewing sound nearby and saw a
small animal scrambling through the low plants near some Rhododendron. It was
about squirrel size, but didn't move like a squirrel. I could never get a good
look at it, but I got a glimpse that looked as if it were a small possum,
though I have never heard a possum make those sounds before. It was crying as
if we had disturbed it or it was in pain. I walked parallel to it a few steps
along the road to attempt a better look, and the animal flushed a Ruffed
Grouse. I never saw the animal after that, but the grouse returned and started
clucking. I think she probably had young ones that she was trying to round up.

For those interested the complete list follows.

American Crow 2

Acadian Flycatcher 10

American Crow 1

American Redstart 3

Black-and-white Warbler 2

Black-throated Green Warbler 2

Blue-headed Vireo 4

Blue Jay 4

Blue-winged Warbler 1

Carolina Chickadee 1

Carolina Wren 5

Downy Woodpecker 1

Eastern Towhee 1

Hooded Warbler 6

Indigo Bunting 4m

Louisiana Waterthrush 2

Northern Cardinal 3 (2m, 1f)

Northern Parula 3

Ovenbird 10

Pileated Woodpecker 1

Red-eyed Vireo 7

Ruffed Grouse 1 (clucking as if with young)

Ruby-throated Hummingbird 2

Scarlet Tanager 4m

Song Sparrow 3

Swainson's Warbler 3