[bcbirdclub] Purple Martins and Others

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 23:55:56 -0400

On March 24 Johnnie and Betty Ratliff of Grundy saw their first two Purple
Martins of the season. As many of you know the Ratliffs have a large colony of
nearly 300 birds.

On Saturday, March 30 I saw my first of the season Purple Martin here on
Compton Mt when an adult Male flew in and checked out our martin house and the
gourds up on the knoll.

Today I received a call from Gilbert, a neighbor who lives about a mile away
around the mountain. He had 5 martins at his martin houses today.

One of the Red-breasted Nuthatches that we have  seen all winter was hopping
around on the rocks at the edge of our yard pond. I think these fellows will
probably head north to their nesting grounds before too much longer.