[bcbirdclub] Migrants and White-throated Sparrow Dates

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 15:56:18 -0400

Hi All,
The last few days here on Compton Mt have been slow as far as migrating
warblers are concerned but there were still plenty of Swainson's Thrushes,
Catbirds, Brown Thrashers and a few RB Grosbeaks. Yesterday, the 22, was a
little better for warblers with the following: Bay-breasted, Blue-winged, Cape
May, Palm, Tennessees, and Yellow-throated.

A pair of Purple Finches came in to my stream, as did Swainson's Thrushes, 4 RB
Grosbeaks and at least 13 Cedar Waxwings.  Other interesting migrants were
Scarlet Tanagers, Chipping Sparrows, Indigo Buntings, Flickers, a
Red-shouldered Hawk, a White-eyed Vireo still singing, and 7 Wild Turkeys in
the neighbor's pasture.

Be on the look out for White-throated Sparrows (See the photo below). Except
for a very unusual early August sighting by David Raines and a September 25,
2004 sighting by David, our records show that these birds usually start
arriving back in our area from up north around Oct 7th to the 11th.

Buchanan County

The bird you see in the fall will not be as brightly colored at this bird. This
photo was taken in April just before these birds left to go north to their
nesting grounds.

JPEG image