[bcbirdclub] Saturday Birding

  • From: Ed Talbott <aquilaet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan Birds <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 06:48:04 -0700 (PDT)

Buchanan Birders,

It was a tough week in pharmacy school so I spent Saturday trying to decompress
(I only worked a couple of hours on homework!)  Chazzy and I hiked along the
river on Saturday morning and we found lots of birds making their way south.
Warblers included Blackburnian, Bay-breasted, Chestnut-sided, Tennessee, and
Redstarts.  We found both tanagers (Summer and Scarlet) along with lots of
Rose-breasted Grosbeaks.  An American Kestrel was calling out as he flew down
the river being chased by at least ten Chimney Swifts - a new combo for me.  A
Belted Kingfisher flew past with his double-jointed wingbeat and a Beaver was
swimming in one of the larger holes of water.  Four female Wood Ducks let me
get to within 40 feet or so - must have had something to do with the calling
Red-tailed Hawk circling over the ridge.

I scanned a puffy white cloud for migrating raptors and saw a single speck
against the cloud - it was a raptor but way too high to ID even with 12x
binocs.  Makes me wonder how many thousands of raptors make their way over
Buchanan County each season undetected.

Speaking of Chimney Swifts - Michelle and I spotted at least 500 along the
ridge at Rite-Aid in Grundy on Friday evening.  Must have been a migrating
flock.

Saturday evening we headed to Hurley for dinner and a sunset walk at the farm.
Here are some hike pictures:
http://www.pbase.com/aquilaet/guesses5

Now it's time to get back to work - got to put down tile in the bathroom today.

Ed

Got a little couch potato?