[bcbirdclub] Re: Hummingbird Feeder

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rogermayhorn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mjt@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 23:18:44 -0400

Very nice feeders Jerry and Jane. We certainly appreciate any suggestions on
feeding the hummers since they keep us busy. As of today we have used 20 lbs
of sugar this season. What I really want to know though is how to keep the
hordes of ravenous hummers from flying to me while I am carrying the
refilled feeders outside. There are often so many that they attempt to perch
on me and because all of their wings are moving at the same time the wind
from them blows my hat off, and sometimes the downward force of the wind
from their wings is so strong it lifts me off the ground, not to a great
height mind you, but at least a few inches. Since I am no featherweight,
pardon the pun, that is no small feat. I tried tying some weights to my
belt, but that just forced them to beat their wings faster which caused
considerably more wind speed and nearly denuded one of Lynda's favorite
shrubs. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would also like to know where I can purchase another shepherd's hook on
which to hang our hummer feeders. So many hummers perched on the one we had
they bent it nearly to the ground. I suppose I may have to have one custom
made since evidently the ones sold commercially are just not strong enough.

Thanks,