[bcbirdclub] House Wren

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 20:40:18 -0400

This morning Lynda and I were eating breakfast and watching TV with the window
open. I heard something unusual and said,"That sounds like a House Wren in the
yard". I went outside to investigate and sure enough a House Wren was singing
from the top of one of the apple trees. In the 40 years we have lived here this
is only the second time a House Wren has been found singing here in the spring.
The last one was in 2008 when a pair of House Wrens showed up and the male
started building a nest in one of the bluebird boxes. The female soon
disapeared, but the male continued to build and sing. After about 2 weeks he
finally gave up and moved on.
We have only 5 records of House Wrens nesting or attempting to nest here in
Buchanan County.