[bcbirdclub] House Sparrow Issues

  • From: Holli Hughes <holli.hughes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 22:15:35 -0400

Hello Everyone,

I am hoping that someone could give me advice on Nesting House
Sparrows and how to get rid of them. I did some research when I first
spotted them making a nest in the eves of my building and one nest box
(meant for Wrens) and I have pulled down 4 nests so far. I believe they
are all being made from the same pair of sparrows but I am not certain.
I did leave the one nest box alone because I read on the "All About
Birds" website that they could possibly take over a Swallow Nest Box, if
not given an option to nest else where (even kill the swallows, which are
my favorite bird).
The Tree Swallows are just starting to fly from the their nest box,
will they have a second brood in the same box? Is there a way I can
protect the tree swallows and run off the house sparrows completely?

Thank you all for any advice and I hope you all have a Wonderful Weekend!

Holli Hughes
Lebanon, VA