[bcbirdclub] KY Warbler/ White bluebird eggs

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rogermayhorn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BC Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 22:32:24 -0400

On Wednesday while picking raspberries around my birding trail on my
property I heard a Kentucky Warbler singing just below me in the hollow.
When I pished a couple of times it came in my direction. Soon it popped its
head up within 25 feet of me to see what the fuss was about. It did that a
couple of times before dropping back down into the hollow continuing to
sing. This is the same area where a pair of Kentuckies nested in 2012 and
2013.

Today, Thursday, when Lynda and I were checking the bluebird boxes here on
the mountain, I found one nest at the intersection of Compton Mt Rd (Rt 639)
and Loggy Bottom Rd (Rt 628) with 4 nearly all white eggs. A female bluebird
had flown from the box when I arrived. I thought at first they might be Tree
Swallow eggs, but after taking a close look at the eggs I decided that their
size and shape suggested they belonged to the bluebird. Bluebirds have been
known to occasionally lay a white egg, but not usually more than one in a
nest. While I was examining the eggs a Tree swallow flew down and fluttered
around me as if it weren't happy with me being so close to the nest box. I
would have thought that odd except I have had Tree Swallows do that before
at that same location even when bluebirds were nesting in the box.