[bcbirdclub] Grady McRae's Progress

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 23:35:37 -0500

Hi All,
Here are two messages I received earlier from Ann and Grady's friend, Mindy
Waldron, which I should have already posted to the list. The first is from
February 13th and the second is from February 18th.

Roger Mayhorn

February 13

Friends,
I have some news for you about Grady McRae. One week ago yesterday (Thursday)
Grady fell at the house.  Ann couldn't get him up. She called an ambulance and
Grady was taken to Bluefield Hospital.  He had no use of his legs.  After exam
at Bluefield, he was sent to Roanoke hospital.  Ann accompanied him to Roanoke.
 The exam showed a mass on his brain.  Ann called me Tuesday evening to tell me
he would have surgery on Wed.  I didn't hear from her on Wed.  I called her
this evening.
Grady made it through surgery and is still in ICU.  He is scheduled to go to
another room when one becomes available.  Ann doesn't know if radiation or
chemo will be needed later.  He is feeling alittle disoriented (as most surgery
patients do), as he can't see or hear very well due to the surgery on his head.
the surgeon will be out over the weekend and will check on him the first of the
week.
Ann was in good spirits.  Their daughter from Florida is with her in Roanoke. I
asked if there was anything we could do.  She said she was doing OK.  They
didn't have any tree or wind damage to their house in Bluefield.  A neighbor is
filling her bird feeders and getting the mail.
I asked about an address to send a card to and she said just wait until they
get in a regular room.  She would pass all of our get well wishes onto Grady.
I'll let you know more and an address as soon as I hear of one.  I told Ann she
would have to get him a great new "TEXAS" hat to wear now.

Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

February 18

Friends,
Just got off the phone with Ann.  Grady came out of intensive care yesterday.
He is doing fine.  He may be brought to Princeton for rehab by the end of the
week.  He has to build up some strength and be able to walk on his own. The
doctors haven't said anything about any chemo or radiation.  Sorry, I didn't
ask for a room number. The hospital phone number is 540-981-7000.
Cards can be sent to their home in Bluefield. Ann said she would call me when
she got home. I'll give her a call by the end of the week if I don't hear
anything.
Ann has a cold but sounded upbeat. I told her to pass all of our get well
wishes on to Grady.

Take care,
Mindy

For those who want to send a card their home address is

Grady and Ann McRae
126 Fincastle Ln.
Bluefield, VA 24701-4812