[bcbirdclub] 470 Pine Siskins at Feeders - Buchanan County, VA

  • From: Ed Talbott <aquilaet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Buchanan Birds <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 14:53:09 -0800 (PST)

Area birders,
Michelle and I, my Dad Ed Jr., and our dog Chazzy enjoyed a winter hike today
at Caney Island Branch in Buchanan County, Virginia.  We found Winter Wrens,
Pileated Woodpeckers, and a Hairy Woodpecker on the hike.  After the hike, I
tried to get a count on the number of Siskins at my Dad's feeders - my best
count was 470 Siskins.  He said they are going through 12 pounds of sunflower
seed each day and the Siskins consumed over 200 pounds in January alone.  For
those interested, here is a link to our hike pictures and pictures of the
Siskins:
http://www.pbase.com/aquilaet/caney23

Ed and Michelle Talbott
Grundy, Buchanan County, Virginia