[bcbirdclub] Fw: [Va-bird] Black-capped Chickadees continue to appear in large numbers in north-western Virginia

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 19:54:59 -0500

Hi All,
The following message appeared on VA Birds. I thought some of you would find it
interesting, especially if you have chickadees coming to your feeders. Almost
all of the chickadees coming to feeders in our area are Carolina Chickadees,
but this year you might see a Black-capped at your feeder. The following post
explains how to tell the difference. Note that in this post BCCH is short for
Black-capped Chickadee, and CACH is short for Carolina Chickadee. Note also
that " greater coverts " refer to feathers in the wing that fold into and
appear on the bird's back when the wings are closed.